The important emergency response work done by the American Red Cross is done by a workforce that is made up of 90% volunteers. In New Hampshire and Vermont, that number is closer to 98% . Without volunteers, this work could simply not be done.
If our local population doesn’t hear about the work these volunteers do, it’s difficult for us to find new volunteers or reach people who may need our help.
For this reason, we’re looking for New Hampshire / Vermont residents to help us tell the Red Cross stories that happen every single day. We’re looking for people who enjoy working as writers, journalists, photographers and videographers. The work isn’t “all the time,” but when disaster strikes we need the help.
Red Cross storytellers are a part of a professional volunteer team that develops and delivers the Red Cross story behind-the-scenes, on-camera, in-person and online through media channels, websites, social media feeds and other content platforms.
There are a number of jobs that need to be done. People who would like to focus in one area, as well as generalists are welcome. It’s great experience for your resume too!
Blue Sky (non-disaster) Operations could include the following:
- News Releases, FAQs and/or Talking Points for special projects such as events and initiatives, New Board Member Announcements, Corporate Recognition and more
- Project Manager – scheduling calls and follow-up on action items for the Communications department such as scheduling rotating meetings and sending out updated information to people who need it, oversee deadlines for other workers, etc.
- With training, serve as the spokesperson through one-take video projects
- Upload smart phone photos and posts to Red Cross social sites
- Represent the American Red Cross as a guest speaker or agency representative at community events
- Red Cross shelters
- Disaster Command Center
- Partner Organizations
- Willingness to learn media relations
- Background in Red Cross response (training provided), branding and messaging
- Submission of news releases, video clips on on-camera work or equivalent work samples preferred but not required
- Background in branding and messaging preffered but not required
- Blue Sky operations assignments will be provided in advance with deadlines, approximately 5-15 hours per month, or more if you like
- Scheduling opportunities are available for grey sky operations
If you’re interested, email email@example.com for more information.