Every day, ordinary people make extraordinary contributions by putting their own needs aside to help others in our community. The American Red Cross is calling on all New Hampshire and Vermont residents to nominate someone for the “Everyday Heroes Awards,” an annual event that salutes these often unsung heroes.
This year, the American Red Cross and MyNews5 are asking the residents of New Hampshire and Vermont to nominate a friend, a co-worker or someone they know for the “Everyday Heroes Awards” so that someone who has done something extraordinary can be honored for their selfless acts.
A hero might be someone simply lending a helping hand or someone who’s saved a life.
Possible nomination categories could include:
- Good Samaritan (over 18 or under 18)
- Citizen responsible for an extraordinary act of heroism or courage
- Military member
- Member of the armed forces (active or retired, commissioned or non-commissioned) whose lifesaving action went above and beyond the call of duty – this award may be awarded posthumously
- Fire Fighter
- Professional or volunteer fire fighter or emergency dispatch operator whose lifesaving action went above and beyond the call of duty
- Law Enforcement
- Law enforcement agent whose lifesaving actions went above and beyond the call of duty
- International Services
- Individual, group or company in recognition of their commitment to humanitarian efforts in other parts of the world
- Animal Rescue
- An animal that saved the life of a human, an ordinary citizen who used lifesaving skills to save the life of an animal(s), or to an individual involved in the care of animals.
- Lifeguard or ordinary citizen whose lifesaving action was able to prevent a serious water-related injury or drowning
- Medical Professional
- Doctor, nurse or EMT whose lifesaving actions went above and beyond the call of duty
- Community Impact
- Presented to a community group, neighborhood organization or local company that consistently demonstrates a commitment to making their community a safer and more compassionate community
- Community Service
- Individual in recognition of volunteering their time to help others in the community
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Individual in recognition of their lifelong dedication and consistent support to further a cause that benefits the community
(The above are nomination suggestions – each category may not be awarded.)
Everyday Heroes Nominees must meet the following criteria:
1. Nominee must be a resident of New Hampshire.
2. The heroic act/rescue must have taken place between December 1, 2016 and November 30, 2017.
Nominations are being accepted now through Dec. 15, 2017.
To nominate a Hero in New Hampshire, go to the New Hampshire nomination page.
To nominate a Hero in Vermont, go to the Vermont nomination page.
The winners will be honored at the Everyday Heroes Awards event in each state.
New Hampshire: On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 the Everyday Heroes Awards will take place at the Grappone Conference Center in Concord, NH. The address is 70 Constitution Ave., Concord, NH 03301. The event will begin at 5:30pm and run to 8:30pm.
Vermont: Vermont winners will be honored at the Everyday Heroes Awards event on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at the Sheraton Burlington Hotel. The address is 870 Williston Rd. Burlington, VT 05403. The event will begin at 5:30pm and run to 8:30pm.
Winners will be awarded in the company of their loved ones, and possibly the people they helped. Videos showcasing their stories will be shown for an evening of stories that align with the Fundamental Principles of the American Red Cross. More information on the event can be found here.